Monday, March 29, 2010

Muhammad Yousuf announced retirement

Former Pakistan captain Mohammad Yousuf has announced his retirement from international cricket in protest at a ban imposed on him by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

The 35-year-old was banned following an inquiry into the tour of Australia earlier this year when the team lost all nine matches under his leadership.

"I always played for my country and if my playing is harmful for the team then I don't want to play," said Yousuf.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) ordered the inquiry after the team lost all three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match in Australia.

“I am still baffled by the decision of the PCB and I have nothing more to say in my defence for what it is a seemingly illogical decision by the board.” said Yousuf.

“I always played for my country and if my playing is harmful for the team then I don't want to play,” he added.

He also won International Cricket Council (ICC) Test player of the year in 2007.

“If I get time, I would love to play first class cricket and private leagues,” he later added.

Pakistan Cricket Team coach Waqar Younis said Muhammed Yousuf could play cricket for about two years more. The retirement of Muhammed Yousuf is quite deplorable, said Pak team coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment